[registrars] Whois Operational Point of Contact

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Nov 29 06:46:49 UTC 2005

Registrars,

In Mar del Plata, a small group of like-minded registrars got together
to discuss possible solutions to the vexing problem of whois. The basic
issue that the amount of data that ICANN requires registrars to display
in the whois is facilitating all sorts of undesirable behaviors like
renewal scams, data-mining, phishing, identity theft, and so on.

The result of this discussion is a proposal to rationalize the whois
data output and implement a new contact type called the "Operational
Point of Contact" or "oPOC". Complete details can be found in the
proposal itself which I've posted to my weblog -
http://code.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/11/28/1426464.html

We are currently seeking feedback and support for this document. If you
have any comments, please drop one of the contributors a note. If you
would like to formally support this proposal as a signatory, please drop
me a note saying so.

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you have any questions.

-ross