[registrars] Ballot Request: Adopt as Constituency Position

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Wed Oct 5 07:48:09 UTC 2005

Jay,

if your customers depend on the expiration date you are absolutely
free to publish it on your whois. Our customers don't and removing
the expiration date would give them an additional layer of protection.
We would therefore remove the expiration date if possible.

Since it is up to each registrar to decide how to deal with it
I don't see why this should be a problem to anyone.

tom

Am 04.10.2005 schrieb Jay Westerdal:
> Hello Bruce,
> > >
> > > Removal of the expiration date from the Thin Whois seems
> > > contrary to what users look for and are most concerned about.
> > > Users check this field to know when to renew their domain by.
> >
> > This was a major improvement when we did this in Australia for .au.
> > It significantly reduced the level of renewal scams.
> >
> > We are only talking about not making this public to everyone.
> >
> > I don't know other licence models that publish the expiry date.
> > The expiry date of my drivers licence is not available to everyone.
>
> How many hundreds or thousands of driver licenses do you have and renew on a
> yearly bases? There are Millions of domain owners that depend on the whois
> to verify when their domain  expiration date. There will be a far greater
> ripple in the DOT COM space if a change is made like this. How do you avoid
> a scam if you make the checking of facts harder on the average joe. The ISPs
> and Hosting companies will not have access to check facts and troubleshoot
> situations because they will not have direct access to the domain holders
> registrar account.
>
> Jay Westerdal
> Name Intelligence, Inc.
> http://www.nameintelligence.com

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w