[registrars] Whois Task Force Update

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Sep 7 20:25:08 UTC 2005

The task force has made some major progress with an endorsement of a
policy proposal to council that deals with instances where registrars
and registries require exceptions to their ICANN contract because of
conflicts with national law. The Registrar Constituency recently voted
to support an amended version of this proposal. The results from the
task force very closely match those amendments we supported.

A summary from the recent meeting follows. Please let me, Jordyn, Paul,
Tom or Tim know if you have any questions...

- --

1 (a) Voting on amendments to recommendation 2 (conflicts with national
data protection laws)

Participants discussed and took straw polls on 7 proposed changes to the
guidance and policy recommendation.

Proposed changes - numbered 1
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-dow123/msg00552.html) , 4
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-dow123/msg00555.html) and 7
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-dow123/msg00558.html) on the list -
were accepted:

1 (b) Voting on recommendation 2 (conflicts with national data
protection laws)

A formal task force vote was held on supporting the amended
recommendation. It was passed unanimously.

- --
- --
Regards,

                       -rwr

                "Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument,
                 every utensil, every article designed for use, of each
                 and every kind, evolved from very simple beginnings."
                        - Robert Collier

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org