[registrars] Status report on single letter domain names

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Sep 20 23:05:46 UTC 2005

Hello Tim,

	If the GNSO is really going to go down this road (against what I
would
	consider better judgment), I believe it would be worth
considering the 	allocation of these SLDs for the purpose for
which they were originally 	reserved, and not for the benefit of a
single entity.

I propose that the issue first be considered in the context of new
gtlds.
Ie in the registry agreement for the recent new gtlds (.travel etc), the
prohibition on single letter domains is one of the conditions.  I think
we should review all the conditions placed on new gtlds and review which
are still appropriate, and which additional restrictions should be
added.

Once there is a policy position with respect to new gtlds going forward,
we can then consider the implications of that for existing gtlds, and
whether some special allocation method is required.

Your suggestion to reserve the tlds for what they were original intended
is one option to consider in the framework above.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin