[registrars] Regarding rules that don't work going forward

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Thu Sep 22 17:26:43 UTC 2005

John:

As someone that has been working with Afilias with these reserved names
over the past couple of years I would like to add a little constructive
input.

First, like all things ICANN that original reservation list was far from
perfect, but given the circumstances it was an agreed upon solution
among ICANN, the GAC and Afilias.

Second, you are correct that there were some problem spots in the
original list. However, Afilias and the GAC have provided many of these
problems spots to ICANN so that they can prevent them from re-occurring
in the newly signed sTLD registry contracts.

Third, geographic indicators are a thorny issue as demonstrated by the
still pending WIPO-II recommendations.

Fourth, resolving issues of contention within individual or collective
GAC representatives is much more complex problem that I had previously
imaged prior to taking my seat on the ICANN board. For anyone interested
in seeing first hand the dynamics of these discussions I encourage you
to take a look at the WSIS prep-com currently taking place in Geneva,
see http://www.itu.int/wsis/preparatory2/pc3/.

Although I was not an original author of the .INFO country reserve list,
I probably have more day to day experience dealing with it than anyone
else.  So I would tend to disagree with your some what harsh assessment
of the list and its author, but do acknowledge that this is a topic
which is evolving and still needs to be improved.

As always your keen legal insight into ICANN's contractual provisions
are a valuable contribution that both you and Jon Nevett serve to the
registrar community.

Hope to see you in Vancouver.

Best regards,

Michael