[registrars] FW: sending letters to my government representatives regarding ICANN failure to monitor

Tim Cole cole at icann.org
Thu Apr 6 17:16:51 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to forward the email below by the NTIA in the U.S.
Department of Commerce.  It echoes a message that we hear often at ICANN
about Whois accuracy.

Regards,

Tim Cole
Chief Registrar Liaison
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

Fwd: sending letters to my government representatives regarding ICANN
failure to monitor

To whom it may concern,

I recently received SPAM to an email account from an entity which whom I
have no business or interest with.
In looking up that entities domain in the whois lookup, it was evident that
the registrar for that domain had
no rules for detecting even the simplest fraudulent registration. What I saw
was an invalid zipcode, city,
and telephone contact number for the domain listed in the email.

It is pathetic that there is NO facilities to address this, that this
'event' even happened, and that the registrar
of this domain is permitted to continue operation while not having
implemented basic validation of validity of
it's customers.

As I stated in the subject, I will be notifying my local, state and federal
government representatives of this
failure and ask that provisions be mandated for each registrar to validate
customer data and that ICANN provide
a policing policy and automated verification process for this.

Doug LaRue