[registrars] Re: Registrar Statement: What about an ability to state partial support?

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Apr 18 16:42:29 UTC 2006

The problem with the Verisign settlement was the centralization of
decision making/policy determination with the ICANN staff and board, not
the GNSO. The only thing worse, in my opinion, than giving ICANN's staff
a free hand to make policy, would be to give the registries a free hand
to make policy. At least within the GNSO I have the opportunity to try
and make a difference regarding what the policies should look like. I
don't have the same opportunity when the staff or registries make these
same decisions during settlement negotiations behind closed doors or in
US courtrooms or in Washington D.C.

As far as expressing the diversity of views, anyone is free to submit
their own comments as part of the public comment process. There is also
the procedural requirement for the constituency to weigh in with a
documented position. To the extent that CORE does not support the
majority view, it is free to make their position known through the
public comment and public forum processes.

--

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:
Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation