FW: [registrars] Registrar Statement

Marcus Faure faure at globvill.de
Tue Apr 25 13:34:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

never intended to be unfriendly..
How would you think such a consensus might look like? Basically, I
belive that there is no "one size fits all" policy for sponsored and
unsponsored TLDs. Yes, we need more oversight when a 80%+ market force
wants to introduce new policies, but no, ICANN will not be able to
decide within a reasonable timeframe how a .berlin might preassign
streetname second level domains, not even speaking of the new
approaches .tel takes. sTLDs will have much more problems with GNSO
oversight than unrestricted TLDs. When GNSO policy enforcement becomes
reality, sTLDs will stall and will have a much harder time to survive,
and we all know the current registration numbers in that area. Do we
want new TLDs or not? I think we agreed to have them. We should not
give them a bad start.
There are other ways for policymaking in sTLDs. Community-based
sponsors can have a community-based policy advisery board. .berlin
managed to gather some prominent people for their proposed PAB. There
is certainly more competence inside the community than on the outside.

That being said, I am happy to discuss consensus positions. However we
can not agree with more burdens for sTLDs when at the same time the
some gTLSs do what they want.

Yours,
Marcus