[registrars] Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements

John Berryhill john at johnberryhill.com
Tue Aug 8 19:03:03 UTC 2006

>Where are you getting this idea from?

Is ICANN's summary accurate:

---------
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-28jul06.htm

Lifting of Price Controls on Registry Services. Following extensive
consideration and discussion, each of the proposed new .BIZ, .INFO and .ORG
registry agreements provide for the lifting of price controls formerly
imposed on the pricing of registry services. However, in order to protect
incumbent domain name registrants and allow time for planning by those in
the registry and registrar communities, the form of registry-registrar
agreement proposed with each of the new registry agreements requires six
months advance notice by the registry operator of any price increase in
registry services.
------------

>(in other words, the contracts are clear that names are roughly $6,

Are we talking about the same contracts?

----------
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/info/registry-agmt-28jul06.pdf

(v) In addition to the other limitations on Consensus Policies, they shall
not:
(A) prescribe or limit the price of Registry Services;

[...]

(ii) Commencing in 2009, for calendar quarters during the Term for which
the average annual price of registrations during the quarter is between
US$3.01
and US$4.99, the Registry-Level Fee shall be the lesser of (a) the
transaction fee
provided in 7.2.a.1 or (b) US$0.15 plus US $0.01 for each increase by
US$0.20
above $3.01 in the average price of domain name registrations, multiplied by
the
number of annual increments of an initial or renewal domain name
registration
during such quarter

Color me stupid.  Can you show me where the agreement keeps the .info
registry price below $4.99?  Or is the registry function excluded from the
definition of "Registry Services"?