[registrars] Constituency Statement on New gTLDs

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Jan 17 15:31:24 UTC 2006

[PLEASE DISREGARD THE EARLIER MESSAGE. IT CONTAINED INCORRECT
TELECONFERENCE DETAILS. THIS MESSAGE INCLUDES THE CORRECT DIALIN NUMBER
AND CONFERENCE CODES. APOLOGIES FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND SHOUTING.]

Registrars,

In order to better inform theGNSO's recently initiated new gTLD policy
development process, I have been asked to solicit the views of the
constituency on the subject. I have scheduled two calls for this week of
two hours each to devote to this discussion. I don't expect that it will
take a full four hours spanning two calls to cover the subject matter
but did need to make arrangements to go overtime if necessary.

The calls will take place on January 18, 2006 and January 19, 2006
between 3pm EST and 5PM EST. (I apologize to those that this is
inconvenient for, but this time slot has the benefit of being mostly
convenient for Asia-Pacific, North America and Europe.)

Call-in details for this teleconference is as follows:

Dial-in Number:1-712-432-2000 (Iowa)

Participant Access Code:97531

Background material: ICANN Staff have created a comprehensive document
that outlines the prior work undertaken by ICANN in this area. While it
is not necessary to actually read it all prior to the call, passing
knowledge of this document will provide an enhanced understanding of the
relevant issues under consideration.

GNSO Council New gTLD Issues Report:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/gnso-issues-rpt-gtlds-05dec05.pdf

Agenda:

Our goal is to discuss and answer these following questions. Note that I
am not looking to determine what the consensus position is, but rather,
to simply hear what our respective inputs are. All data will be captured
and included in the final document. Please review these questions and be
prepared to share your thoughts.

Questions:

1. Should new generic top-level domain names be introduced? Given the
information provided here and any other relevant information available
to the GNSO, the GNSO should assess whether there is sufficient support
within the Internet community to enable the introduction of new
top-level domains. If this is the case the following additional terms of
reference are applicable.

2. Selection Criteria for New Top-Level Domains
(a) Taking into account the existing selection criteria from previous
top-level domain application processes and relevant criteria in registry
services reallocations, develop modified or new criteria that
specifically address ICANN's goals of expanding the use and usability of
the Internet. In particular, examine ways in which the allocation of new
top-level domains can meet demands for broader use of the Internet in
developing countries.

(b) Examine whether preferential selection criteria (e.g. sponsored)
could be developed which would encourage new and innovative ways of
addressing the needs of Internet users.

(c) Examine whether additional criteria need to be developed which
address ICANN's goals of ensuring the security and stability of the
Internet.

3. Allocation Methods for New Top-Level Domains

(a) Using the experience gained in previous rounds, develop allocation
methods for selecting new top-level domain names.

(b) Examine the full range of allocation methods including auctions,
ballots, first-come / first-served and comparative evaluations to
determine the methods of allocation that best enhance user choice while
not compromising predictability and stability.

(c) Examine how allocation methods could be used to achieve ICANN's
goals of fostering competition in domain name registration services and
encouraging a diverse range of registry services providers.

4. Policy to Guide Contractual Conditions for New Top-Level Domains

(a) Using the experience of previous rounds of top-level domain name
application processes and the recent amendments to registry services
agreements, develop policies to guide the contractual criteria which are
publicly available prior to any application rounds.

(b) Determine what policies are necessary to provide security and
stability of registry services.

(c) Determine appropriate policies to guide a contractual compliance
program for registry services.