[registrars] nomcom update

elliot noss enoss at tucows.com
Mon Jul 10 13:58:34 UTC 2006

To all:

Jon Nevett asked me to provide an update on nomcom, so here it is!

First of all, some of you may have seen the deadline for Statements
of Interest has been extended.
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-07jul06.htm

This is pretty much the same as last year. There is no problem, but
everyone involved would like to see as many good candidates to choose
from as possible.

As a reminder, from the FAQ the work this year includes selecting:

====================
ICANN Board of Directors:

3 seats, with terms through the conclusion of the ICANN 2009 Annual
Meeting.

GNSO Council:

1 seat, with term through the conclusion of the ICANN 2008 Annual
Meeting.

Interim ALAC:

2 seats (Europe and North America regions), with terms through the
ICANN 2008 Annual Meeting.

ccNSO Council:

1 seat, with term through the conclusion of the ICANN 2008 Annual
Meeting.
=====================

The rest of the FAQ is here. http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/
faqs.htm

This year's work is extremely important as it includes three board
seats. I will be clear that the our constituency has done an
extremely poor job of helping to find and recruit good candidates
(this is intended to motivate you all to prove me wrong :-)). I do
not believe that other than our representative (me!) anyone
contributed any candidates either last year or this year. If I am
wrong in that please let me know offlist so I can correct. We could
really use your help in sourcing good people. This year we especially
need help to find great European candidates as the only two European
board seats are both up this year, Hagen Hultz and Veni Markovski.

As for GNSO, last year nomcom injected new blood into the GNSO. This
year it is my view that we need some more ICANN experience. Remember
both Bruce and Ross are nearing the end of their terms. Suggestions
are greatly appreciated.

If any of you have any ideas or questions or comments about the
nomcom work please contact me offlist and I will be happy to help.
This is really important work in the context of what ICANN does.
PLEASE help. Thanks.

Regards
Elliot Noss