[registrars] Godaddy locks domains in for 60 days after a rant change

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Thu Oct 5 19:45:30 UTC 2006

Yes, somebody else mentioned that to me off list, to which I replied:

I think that's a liberal interpretation of this paragraph:

"A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined)
after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the
original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where
a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs)."

Because in the next section the exclusions specifically define the
transfers as between registrars:

"Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied
include, but are not limited to: ...

Domain name registration period time constraints, other than during the
first 60 days of initial registration or during the first 60 days after
a registrar transfer."

It could be that sloppy text in the first paragraph opened the door to
this. If a registrar is worried about the change of registrant they
should satisfy themselves before executing it, it's a separate issue
from a registrar transfer.

This is just a tactic to try to keep the domain via auto-renew or hoping
the new owner is lazy and forgets after 60days and just leaves it there.

-mark