[registrars] Godaddy locks domains in for 60 days after a rant change

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Fri Oct 6 23:14:15 UTC 2006

Ok .. I have a question.  And this is in no way trying to say Godaddy is
doing anything wrong here, nor comment on their procedures or policies,
I am just taking a poke at what I hope is an obvious question.

If the Lock in question is at the voluntary contractual provision level,
and the registrant is "requesting you to review it", would you not
always remove it upon request of the Registrant ?  Or is the lock not
voluntary ?  (or I guess, one could say that once they have agreed to
the contractual provision, it can not be undone ...)

But on the broader note, I wonder aloud at which point a Registrar can
impose it's own contractual provisions that override policies like the
transfer policy.  It would not be hard for a Registrar to put into place
a non-transfer provision that lasts lets say 180 days, or a year after a
renewal or other domain event.

Or how about we just start charging a $50 admin fee to handle the
transfer away.  This fee would become due the second the transfer was
applied for, so it would be a case of money owing on the existing domain
registration which would allow for the transfer to be denied.  hmmm.

It seems to me that this may be a slippery slope to start down, given
that the intent of the Transfer Policy is to facilitate and promote
competition between Regsitrars.  This has to be tempered with adequate
security for our customers to ensure we are doing what they want.

But I suspect that once we are in an auth-code world at the end of this
month, that all should get much easier.  The losing registrar should
lose the ability to NAK a transfer at all, if the customer has provided
a valid auth-code. Hopefully, we get to a place where the transfer is
immediate, and domains can no longer be "locked" from transfering.  If
you have the code, it goes.  If you don't, it doesn't.  Then we will
have a fair and open transfer system that promotes competition.

But I suspect even this will take some time to work itself out.

Rob.