[registrars] Interesting Opinion From ICANN

Robert F. Connelly BobC at awesome-goo.com
Mon Oct 23 02:56:11 UTC 2006

At 03:25 PM 10/22/2006, John Berryhill wrote:
>As many registrars had assumed, the licensing and identity
>disclosure language of RAA 3.7.7.3 has normally been used in the
>course of UDRP disputes to determine the procedure whereby
>registrar-operated proxy services will respond to the DRP
>commencement inquiry by identifying the actual registrant of the domain name.

Dear John:  Going clear back to the IAHC in February of 1997, it was
understood that registrars should *not* warehouse domains (buy
domains with no direct business interest in the string) but that they
were free to register domains which were needed to run their
registrar business.

All through the development of CORE, that was the understanding.

Afilias (a *registry*, by the way) was allowed to register
afilias.info and misspellings of "afilias" dot info.  The founders of
Afilias were allowed to preemptively register their company names, I
know I registered psi-japan.info etc.   I just checked, it's still there.

I see no problem with NSI having "networksolutions.com", do
you?  Does the "panel"?

Regards, BobC