[registrars] WHOIS access tiers

Paul Lecoultre secretariat at corenic.org
Fri Oct 27 09:21:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

I would support your comments and also Tim's comments.

I just would like to see "penalties" for those who will
abuse the system. You mention the fact that registries
and even registrars will have the possibility to restrict
the access in case of misuses. For me this solution doesn't
really give an answer to the problematic of Registrars
abusing the whois, it will only allow them to sell an
additional products.

In addition I don't see how registries would be able to act
in case of abuses from registrars or individual, on which
basis? Complaints from individuals, registrars? Abuse in the
numbers of requests? What would be the tool to constrain the
abuse, temporary or definitive restrictions? I am personally
unsure to trust some registrars behaviors.

I understand that you would like to differentiate normal requests
from systematic requests. I'm afraid that it will only require
some more time to adapt their abuses of the system to the minimum
daily request allowed, or to extend their existing database but it
won't give an answer to those who misbehave.

Best regards,
Paul Lecoultre