[registrars] OPOC Proposal

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Sep 21 12:20:00 UTC 2006

Ross Rader wrote:
> Your feedback on this iteration of the Whois Operational Point of
> Contact proposal would be appreciated:
>
> http://www.writely.com/Doc.aspx?id=dgsxrsww_2gjfj37
>
> There are some newly proposed additions that I've boxed out with
> [PROPOSED:] - your feedback on the notice requirements would be
> especially helpful...

Apologies, I forwarded a link to an older revision, here is the correct
link:

http://www.writely.com/View.aspx?docID=dgsxrsww_2gjfj37&revision=_latest

My personal concerns lie primarily with section 4 in that they require
registrars to expose registrants to a level of detail that might
otherwise be made transparent in various registrar business models. I
have deep concerns that ICANN's policies are interfering more and more
in the business of registration, and less and less with the DNS. Domain
name registration has been made significantly more complex in the last
four years, with very little apparent benefit for registrants.

-r