[registrars] OPOC Proposal

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Sep 22 14:13:14 UTC 2006

Tim Ruiz wrote:
> Ross,
>
> I understand your concerns about section 4. But I am more concerned with the
> removal of the registry whois create and expiry dates. I know it's been
> previously debated but after a lot of thought I am not convinced it is a good idea.

These are really two separate thread Tim -

One, whether or not the registries should continue to output expiration
and create dates. The constituency position on this historically has
been no. We can reopen this if you wish (it seems you do).

Two, whether or not registrars should assume additional disclosure
responsibilities wrt to the functions associated with the new contacts
in the proposal. The constituency has no position on this, but we should
develop one fairly quickly.

 From a work management perspective, there's no reason to prioritize one
over another (or sacrifice one for the other) in spite of the fact that
specific registrars might be more concerned with one set of issues or
another (i.e. tucows is more worried about additional disclosure
requirements, godaddy seems more worried about where expiration dates live).

We should try to hash through some of these issues in advance of our
meeting in Florida and try to close them off at that time.

                        -ross rader
                         general manager,
                         domain direct/netidentity/nameplanet

Have you checked out the NetIdentity/Nameplanet Weblog?
http://netidentity.weblog.info