[registrars] Grave Robbing and SEDO Fencing

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Tue Aug 7 12:00:00 UTC 2007

Thanks Donny. You're right, it does say *may.* So perhaps that's another
thing the RC should consider trying to change. I realize it may pose an
inconvenience for customers who want to flip names as you describe, but
it wouldn't prevent it. What it would do is add a layer of protection
against hijacking.

I think the raven.com issue illustrates the potential problem with
assuming that if someone has the authcode, the name must be theirs. I
thought the same way about the authcode at one time, but various
experiences have changed my mind. I think authcodes are a good tool, but
only one piece of the security issue.

Tim