[registrars] Grave Robbing and SEDO Fencing

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Tue Aug 7 14:34:04 UTC 2007

Elliot, It's true that high profile hijackings do not occur
very often. However, we shouldn't also assume that because
that's true other hijackings are not occuring. You and I both
know that they do.

I can gather information on how many transfers we don't allow
to start due to being within the 60-day new registration
period. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are all
attempts to hijack domain names. We don't currently prevent
transfers from starting within 60-days of a previous
transfer, but are looking at whether or not that could be
done technically.

What I can tell you is that we deal with hijacking or
attempted hijacking issues every day. Though those names may
not be high profile, the registrants are just as concerned.
The problem with hijacking is that it can have a devasting
and long lasting affect. Current resolution processes, even
with cooperative registrars, often take days to complete
and correct the situation. And there are cases where the
hijacker just plain gets away with it.

When multiple transfers occur as a part of the hijacking
it further complicates resolution, and may even make
resolution impossible. The TF on that PDP summarized in
their implementation notes:

"There are situations where domain names have been hijacked
by initiating a large number of transfers through several
registrars to make it difficult to trace the original
registrant. There is also the issue of how to implement a
transfer undo command when a transfer may keep occurring
many times in quick succession. It would increase stability
of the system to also put a 60 day block on a transfer to a
registrar other than the original registrar after a
transfer has completed."

It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that the current policy's
list of reasons for denying transfers are all lumped under
the *may* qualifier. I think both 60-day reasons (after new
registration and transfers) should be mandatory.

Of course pursuing any change should be at the consensus of
the RC as a whole. Just presenting some food for thought
based on our experiences.

Tim