[registrars] FW: Information regarding Data Escrow

DomainRegistry.com Inc. - Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Fri Aug 17 03:39:32 UTC 2007

1) So the escrowed data will show the privacy blocks
that some registrars use instead of the actual owner information?
(If so, what is the benefit of that exactly?)

2) There is a difference in my mind between mining public data and
having what amounts to bulk access to that data. I don't think you are
saying that you wouldn't mind if I grabbed all the public info from
godaddy's whois, right? You certainly try to block that don't you?

3) Saying that some registrars already use Iron Mountain
for storage of data that is more sensitive is a little like
saying that an amusement park ride is safe because the operator
allows his own children to ride it. Different companies/people have
different tolerance for risk.

As an aside, a company that I previously owned had about
40 or so cartons of paper information stored by an Iron Mountain owned
company years ago. And they actually lost and were never able to
(so far) find those documents. True, they actually lost a few skids of
paper documents. As of a few years ago they claimed they were still
trying to find the records and they had no explanation other than "sorry".

(If you would care to see the letter from them stating that, I'd
be glad to share it with you.)

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com