[registrars] FW: RRAs

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Wed Jan 3 20:34:13 UTC 2007

Kurt:

Just to follow up on Champ's note.  The RRA is clear that any
"revisions" must be approved by ICANN before they are binding on
registrars.  It appears that VeriSign's position is that the proposed
changes were made as part of a "normal business practice" to amend the
corporate entity signing the agreement.  A change to a party to an
agreement is substantive in my opinion.  Moreover, whether or not the
revisions are substantive, material, or routine, however, is irrelevant.
The contract states that any revisions must be approved by ICANN in
order to be binding on registrars.

So we are at a stalemate.  VeriSign doesn't think that these changes
need to be approved by ICANN and is bullying registrars into signing its
revised version.  Scores (probably hundreds) of registrars have signed
or are planning to sign the version of the RRA that is posted on the
ICANN website.  Apparently, VeriSign is rejecting these, and these
registrars are fearful that VeriSign, a monopoly provider, will shut
them down.

It is incumbent on ICANN to take a stand and enforce its contracts.  The
contract is clear -- there is no limitation on the approval obligation
for materiality.  If VeriSign wants to make any changes to the version
on the ICANN website, it requires ICANN approval.  This is not rocket
science.

If staff won't deal with this issue, we could go through the ICANN
Compliance Officer, the Ombudsman, or the Reconsideration Committee, but
it all seems like a waste of resources.  All ICANN needs to do is to
enforce its contract with VeriSign by telling it and the community that
any revisions need to be approved and that it has not approved the
version VeriSign is pushing.  ICANN has been surprisingly quiet on this
issue, especially considering the fact that VeriSign told the registrars
that ICANN had, in fact, approved the version sent out, when, in fact,
it had not.

I, personally, would support ICANN's approval of VeriSign's version on
two conditions: 1) out of fundamental fairness to registrars, the
VeriSign party on the SLA document is changed to mirror the VeriSign
party signing the rest of the agreement, and 2) the last reference to a
Surety Requirement is deleted from Section 6.15(a)(6) of the RRA.
VeriSign deleted all other references to the surety requirement and just
missed this one.  If, as VeriSign states below, the "surety obligation
no longer exists," then the last reference should be removed from the
contract.  Neither of these changes should be problematic from
VeriSign's perspective and it would, hopefully, resolve the issue.  The
most important point is that ICANN should be clear with VeriSign and all
other registries that they are not permitted to violate the process by
trying to bind registrars to registry-registrar contracts that ICANN
hasn't approved, especially without registrar input.

Thanks.

Jon