[registrars] Fwd: .COM Registry-Registrar Agreement

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Thu Jan 11 16:27:59 UTC 2007

Registrars:

According to the following messages from VeriSign and ICANN, VeriSign is
seeking to make certain changes to the proposed .com RRA as outlined
below.  The proposed version is attached.  ICANN has asked that I post
it to the Registrars list and that it will take comments for 5 business
days.  After the 5 business days, ICANN will review any comments and
determine whether or not to approve the changes from the version it and
the Department of Commerce had approved earlier.  If ICANN approves this
version, VeriSign will be authorized to send out the new version to all
registrars and it will be binding on all registrars regardless of
whether or not they sign this version or signed the version VeriSign
sent out in December.

I see this as a good development in that VeriSign apparently has agreed
to the terms I suggested in a prior note.  There will be consistency in
the VeriSign contracting party between the various documents, removal of
the last reference to a surety requirement, and most importantly,
apparent recognition that ICANN must approve any changes to the RRA
before they are binding and that ICANN will solicit comments from
registrars as part of that approval process.  Indeed, ICANN has agreed
to work with us to publish a formal process for it to follow whenever a
registry wants to change the terms of an RRA subject to ICANN approval.

Thanks for all of your help and support during this process.

Best,

Jon

Chair, Registrars Constituency