[registrars] Q: are registrars allowed to deny transfers-out

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Thu Jan 18 08:39:44 UTC 2007

Hi Tom,

from what I believe to know all gtld registries have this procedure
except Neustar which is not debiting the renewal fee until the end
of the 45 day auto-renewal window. A procedure I personaly would like
to see with all registries.

To the general subject of what is allowed and what is not this transfer
issue is just one of the many. It seems that almost all ICANN policies
we are bound to have a lot of room for interpretations. In some cases
(like proxy registrations) this might be a good thing and leaves room
for innovation but on general administrative issues it leads to a lot of
confusion on all ends. The good thing is that it only comes down to us
to define the real life implementation of these processes.

Best,

tom

Am 17.01.2007 schrieb Thomas Barrett - EnCirca:

> Another registrar recently explained to me they denied a transfer to EnCirca
> of an expired domain name because they said the registry would not give out
> a refund to the losing registrar for the auto-renewal.
>
> Can someone confirm if all of the gtld registries provide refunds for
> auto-renewals that are transferred out before the end of the auto-renewal
> period?
>
> Tom

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w