[registrars] Q: are registrars allowed to deny transfers-out

Richard Lau richard at lau.com
Thu Jan 18 08:53:20 UTC 2007

I did find this:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm
"My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for
a renewal before I can transfer to a new registrar?

No. Your new registrar of choice can initiate a transfer request on an
expired domain name once they receive the required authorization from
you. Expiration or nonrenewal of a domain name is not a valid reason for
denial of a transfer request.

Note that if the registrar has already begun the deletion process on the
domain name and its status shows it to be within a 30-day Redemption
Grace Period, the name must be .restored. by your current registrar
before it can be transferred."