[registrars] Constituency Issues

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Thu Jan 18 21:55:04 UTC 2007

Registrars:

There are three pending issues that require the Constituency's
attention:

1.                            I circulated in November the attached
proposal to enable the RC to approve a Fast Track Motion in certain
limited circumstances.  The proposed amendment to our Rules of Procedure
is pending and we hope to have this issue voted on in February, so it is
in place by the Lisbon Meeting.  Please review the motion and provide
any comments as soon as practicable.

2.                            Bruce recently circulated the attached
response to the London School of Economics report related to the GNSO
review.  Please review the draft and provide any comments to Bruce's
draft.  We need to turn it around rather quickly, so we can hopefully
vote on it prior to the Lisbon meeting.

3.                            Finally, having finished the Rules of
Procedure review, we now are going to review the RC Bylaws
http://www.icann-registrars.org/docs/gnso-rc-bylaws.doc.  We'd like to
do it in two phases.  First, we'd like to make just a small handful of
important changes quickly, and then engage in a more thorough review
taking into account the Board's reaction to potential changes to the
GNSO.  Rob Hall has agreed to chair this Bylaws Committee.  Please let
Rob or me know if you would like to serve on the Committee.
Additionally, to the extent anyone has any recommended changes to the
Bylaws that should be made soon, please submit such proposals to the
list.

As you know, ICANN is holding a North American Registrar/Registry
Regional Gathering in Los Angeles about 10 days from now.  It also is
planning regional gatherings in Asia in July and in Europe in December.
While we are not holding an official Registrars Constituency meeting as
part of this upcoming regional event, we thought that in order to
advance the ball somewhat and not lose the opportunity of having a
number of registrars in the same room, we would have some unofficial
discussions (separate and apart from ICANN's agenda) on these issues.
Of course, online discourse also would be very beneficial and
appreciated.  DirectI/Skenzo is sponsoring the registrar lunch on
January 30, and has graciously agreed to permit us the opportunity to
use that time to have an informal discussion on these issues.
Therefore, if you can, please provide your comments and thoughts by the
30th.

We will provide updates of any discussions online too.

Thanks.

Jon