[registrars] John Klensin's view on Single-letter second level domains

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Mon Jan 22 14:33:28 UTC 2007

Tim Ruiz wrote:
> Not advocating anything one way or another, but I don't buy John's concern below:

 From my perspective, I'm less concerned with which set of answers is
more correct than the other's, rather - I'm more interested in learning
why the entire Internet community should embroil itself in a debate over
which 26 companies will acquire rights to a single letter .com name.

It seems such a waste of energy to me that we're going down this road at
a time when other higher priority issues such as IDNs are just starting
to get traction after having languished for so many years. I mean, we've
launched quite a few TLDs over the last few years - I haven't heard of
any great outcry about the default reserved names rules.

-ross