[registrars] Dues of $750 with "forgiveness" for those who choose to pay $250.

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Mon Jul 30 03:33:16 UTC 2007

Bob,

I am surprised that you are suggesting that you post a list of Registrars who have somehow benefited from the constituency IN THE PAST and not paid.  This type of public shaming for events in the past is not helpful and should not be allowed.  As a member of the executive, I would not support you publishing such a list.

Many people may participate as they can in the Constituency.  What is in the past, is pointless to waste time debating.

Rather, I would prefer to see updated lists of Members published, so we can clearly see at all times who have paid up CURRENTLY and who are indeed Members of the constituency.  As you know, we are working hard to make there be more benefit to being a member of the constituency to encourage more Registrars to join.

I am also not sure what your example is trying to say.  I note that you have highlighted the fact that the General Counsel of Momentous.ca responded that NameScout et al supported the letter.  Momentous.ca is not a Registrar, and you have somehow taken issue with Jennifer's standard signature lines as General Counsel.  Momentous.ca has never signed nor supported a Constituency Statement.

And yes, we have absolutely signed documents to ICANN with a list of all the Registrars we have.  We used to list each and every one, but it just became cumbersome.  I don't believe we have EVER represented that they were members of the constituency, just that they are indeed ICANN accredited Registrars.  Given that ICANN often quotes stats of what percentage of Registrars felt a certain way, we felt it important that they know that all ours did, so they could not say that only 40 Registrars out of 800 felt a certain way.  If ICANN wants to play the percentage game, we ensured that all our Registrars we behind the letter.

And I think you will find that most of the letters we signed onto were not official constituency positions, as those are voted.  Rather, when an open call went out for a simple letter to ICANN by some Registrars, we supported it with everything we had.

Rob.