[registrars] RE: [RC Voting] Dues of $750 with "forgiveness" for those who choose to pay $250.

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Mon Jul 30 03:45:58 UTC 2007

Tom,

I am unclear what you mean by raising the dues.  Do you mean raising them higher than the proposed budget, or are you saying they should not be raised to the 750 mark that they used to be at.

As you may recall, all dues used to be 750, and we lowered them a few years back as we had built up a bit of cash.

I think now the Execom has presented a budget that shows a need for the higher dues for the spending contemplated, and the dues proposed are simply going back to what they used to be.  I would also point out that at the last in person meeting of the constituency, the straw poll of going back to 750 per year was unanymously in favour of it.

I do take issue with your second principle a bit.  I think there needs to be some benefits to membership in the constituency, not just voting. We made some proposals towards such an end in PR, and I think you will see that they have the effect of increasing membership as we are able to roll out better services to the Membership.

As to your proposal of tiering based on the number of names, I can tell you the Execom did indeed look at that.

The concern was brought forward by Adrian, who pointed out that some of the smaller registrars might want to pay more, and that some of the larger groups could pick one of their smaller ones.  I commend Adrian for taking the high road and saying that he wants to pay the full fare, because of all the benefits he gets from the constituency.  I think there are many out there that would agree that they receive more than 750 dollars worth of benefit a year.

So we decided to leave it as a flat fee, and allow someone to ask for forgiveness down to the 250 if they needed it.  I think it achieves the same result, but with a more positive outlook of saying that we all gain huge benefits from being members, and also takes care of those that need a reduction.

I also supported publishing those that had asked for and been granted the reduction in price, in order to keep the larger groups such as ourselves from simply picking a small registrar and pleading poverty.  I assure you we are very happy to be members, and would happily pay even more than 750 for the privledge of membership.  I figured that if you published all our members, their renewal dates and what they paid, that we would be completely open and transparent about our fees, finances and collections.  I still believe this may be the way to go. I believe if we can get more organized, and be more transparent about what everone's status is, we will be more succesful in attracting members.

Rob