[registrars] RE: [RC Voting] Dues of $750 with "forgiveness" for those who choose to pay $250.

Lau richard at lau.com
Mon Jul 30 08:33:16 UTC 2007

Hi Bob,

I think there are two conflicting issues here:

1)       "Some registrars who have multiple accreditations benefit
substantially from their memberships  -- but they pay only dues for one of
them.  They frequently make written endorsements of issues being discussed
by ICANN, signing in the name of their non member accreditations."

====> Why does the RC allow use of its member list to solicit endorsements
by non-member entities?  If Letters are being organized on the RC list,
those letters should only contain the names of RC member companies. No
membership should equal:  no vote, no seat at the RC table at ICANN
Meetings, and no signing on submitted group letters. I say this as a paid
member for a single shell registrar who could be signing for 10+ other
non-member shell registrars (but I refrain from doing so).

2)       "Some registrars who have multiple accreditations benefit
substantially from their memberships  -- but they pay only dues for one of
them."

===> I think "substantially" should be replaced with "microscopically".
Allow me to rephrase your statement to a flip side: "Some large registrars
who have large, very profitable customer bases benefit substantially from
their single memberships far above other smaller registrar with small,
almost non-profitable customer bases." When a letter is sent in, it is more
than reasonable for the recipient to take note of and recognize the top
registrars, and to ignore the others listed. Who really cares if DomainClip
or multiple "! #1"-Registrars are  listed? Small, unrecognized registrars
only add value to these submitted letters by adding bulk to the long list of
registrars. The difference between having all of the top 10 Registrars
listed on a letter, and having 300 shell registrars listed is minor. In
fact, having a long list of registrars on a letter where the top 10
Registrars are mixed in (read: lost) may have the unintended effect of
diluting the message. Any group signed letter should be listed in descending
order by the size of the domains under management.

I understand that you, being a Republican, would likely be against the RC
membership being based on an "annual revenue" tiered pricing, or on the
number of domains managed. I am not here to suggest an exact tiered pricing
structure. Merely to point out that someone with 10, 50 or 100 shell
registrars does not receive 10x, 50x or 100x the benefit of membership by
trotting out their additional names onto a letter.

This article from "Association Management" discusses some alternatives to
"annual revenue" membership dues:

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0198-222446_ITM

"more organizations are exploring a tiered membership structure in which
membership and subsequently dues are based on membership levels or benefits
packages rather than on categories determined by specific demographic
criteria. "Embracing one of the fastest growing trends nationwide, more
associations are turning to a tiered membership structure to replace
outdated dues structures that do not communicate value to members," says
Moliterno, who has worked with several organizations in their transition
from a fair-share model to a tiered membership structure. She outlines these
primary reasons for the switch:

To give members control and choices. A tiered structure accommodates
companies regardless of size (or individuals regardless of professional
specialty) and ensures appropriate investment for the resulting delivery of
services and products. Participants customize their memberships by selecting
their levels of involvement and investment.

To realign business purposes to match customer needs. A tiered membership
structure allows associations to easily adapt to rapid change and
significant competitive challenges because they can adjust their benefits to
address new trends while adding value to their memberships at specific
levels. They can also demonstrate a return on investment for members, since
the tiers are segmented to match specific products and services to member
needs and desires.

To create one clear and concise message. Often, members say that they don't
know what they receive for their dues. When shown the tiered concept,
however, members appreciate the compartmentalized areas of information that
they can easily digest.

Thinking out loud here.. a tiered RC membership structure could
differentiate along levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) such as:

-          Ability to submit to RC mailing list

-          Right to add name to RC letters (listed by level)

-          Seat at RC table at ICANN Meetings

-          microphone/right to speak at RC table

-          use of RC logo on website according to level

-          ?

-          ?

-          .. These are just ideas to add to the discussion of a tiered
pricing structure.

I think raising the membership to $750 will cause the drop off of many small
registrars. While you may view this as them "soaking the rich", it's just an
economic decision. Is there $750 in value for a small registrar? Honestly,
probably not. Everyone has different reasons for being a member.  For me,
the $250 is worth it just to have a seat for the day at the (long) RC
meetings I (infrequently) attend. For $500 more, I'll just sit on the floor.
;^ )

Thx for listening,

Richard Lau

DomainClip.com