[registrars] RAA Resolution

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Fri Jun 29 19:07:16 UTC 2007

Registrars:

The ICANN Board approved the following resolution today regarding
changes to the RAA.  Pursuant to the interactions we had with ICANN
staff and the Board at our meeting on Tuesday and as requested in the
resolution, I would like to set up a Registrar Constituency Working
Group to continue our discussions with ICANN about potential changes.
Please let me know if you are interested in joining the WG and have the
ability to dedicate the time necessary to work on these issues.  The WG
should report back to the full RC and solicit comments from the larger
group on a regular basis.  Thanks.

Jon

Consultation on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Whereas, ICANN has received considerable comment and recommendations
from registrants and others in the Internet community for improvements
in ICANN contracts in order to protect the interests of registrants.

Whereas, ICANN posted several recommendations in a call for major review
of ICANN's Registrar Accreditation Agreements (RAA) and the
accreditation process.

Whereas, community comment received since the posting tends to affirm
those same areas as important and ICANN has published specific areas for
amendment.

Whereas, ICANN Board and staff have met with the Registrars Constituency
to discuss specific recommended changes to the RAA and agreed to
continue discussions to expedite the publication and consideration of
proposed amendments.

Whereas, it is important to implement amendments in a timely manner to
avoid future harm to registrants.

Resolved (07.__), the Board directs staff to solicit and consider the
input of the Internet community, including the At-Large community and
the GNSO constituencies, regarding proposed changes to the RAA,
registrar accreditation process, and related policies.

Resolved (07.__), the Board requests that staff engage with the
Registrars Constituency in order to arrive at, and post for public
comment, a set of proposed amendments or alternative version to the RAA,
that is intended to address to the extent feasible the concerns raised
by the Internet community.

Resolved (07.___), that when the RAA is published for public comment,
that notice be provided to allow the At-Large Advisory Committee, the
GNSO, and other interested parties to review the proposed revised RAA
and provide advice to the Board in its review.