[registrars] ALAC Request for Issues Report on Domain Tasting

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed May 9 23:16:04 UTC 2007

 Hello Jeff,

> Can you please clarify something  -  at this point do we just sit and
> wait for the issues report or do we need to comment on the content and
> validity of the ALAC statement? (no comment!)

(1) We can wait for the issues report

(2) We could provide the ICANN staff some facts to assist in developing
their issues report

Note that the issues report must contain:

A recommendation from the Staff Manager as to whether the Council should
initiate the PDP for this issue (the "Staff Recommendation"). Each Staff
Recommendation shall include the opinion of the ICANN General Counsel
regarding whether the issue proposed to initiate the PDP is properly
within the scope of the ICANN policy process and within the scope of the
GNSO. In determining whether the issue is properly within the scope of
the ICANN policy process, the General Counsel shall examine whether such
issue:

1. is within the scope of ICANN's mission statement;

2. is broadly applicable to multiple situations or organizations;

3. is likely to have lasting value or applicability, albeit with the
need for occasional updates;

4. will establish a guide or framework for future decision-making; or

5. implicates or affects an existing ICANN policy.

It would seem that some of the ideas in the ALAC request may not be
within the scope of ICANN's mission statement.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin