[registrars] Position Statement - Adrian Kinderis

Adrian Kinderis adrian at ausregistry.com.au
Mon May 21 16:19:41 UTC 2007

Registrar Constituency Members,

Let me begin this statement by expressing my thanks to Bruce Tonkin and
Ross Rader. It is gratifying to be nominated and seconded by such highly
respected members of our Community.

I must also commend Yoav Keren on his statement. It was thorough and
detailed. I must also agree with him wholeheartedly, I will indeed make
a good representative on behalf the Registrar Constituency to the gNSO
Council.

I won't waste the member's valuable time with my resume and
accomplishments, though I am certainly proud of them. Whilst I
acknowledge it may be important to present a detailed portrait of my
working background and list of accomplishments, I would prefer to focus
on the utility of the gNSO representative position and my ability to act
as a conduit for the Registrar Constituency to the gNSO Council.

As an ICANN Accredited Registrar, an active and regular participant at
ICANN meetings, and as a ccTLD Registry Operator, I am able to share the
unique perspective of interacting directly with Registrars and
interrelating with other Registries. The insight that this provides me,
allows me to appreciate the need for consistent, responsible and
effective participation, whilst managing the fine line that exists
between commerciality and policy.

The key attributes I bring to the position of gNSO representative is not
my business acumen, names under management, nor technical prowess
(though these should not be ignored). Rather, it is my ability to
communicate to the members of the Registrar Constituency and,
importantly, communicate the collective message of that Constituency to
the gNSO Council.

It could be argued, that as a small Registrar I may not understand the
issues of the community. As discussed above, I do have a deep insight
into Registrar concerns. I believe it is my ability to encapsulate the
sentiment of the Constituency and represent you, as members, in another
forum to ensure the integrity of the message is maintained. I believe
that it is also my ability to represent the beliefs and concerns of the
Registrars Constituency, and give them a voice that sets me apart in
this election. As many amongst you would attest, I have never been one
to shy away from asking the tough questions and I do so with passion and
vigour.

Without the burden of a massive amount of names under management, I
don't have a proverbial "axe to grind". I am otherwise released to
devote my time to ensuring that the key messages are appropriately
presented without the concern of my personal exposure or commercial
benefit.

The question of IDN's is only one of the issues that we as a community
will face; some vital to our core business. I see the key areas are in
DNSSEC, iPv6, WhoIs, Data Escrow requirements, the development,
application and localisation of Privacy Laws and other local laws that
make the global Agreement with ICANN difficult to manage from time to
time.

More specifically I believe the input from Registrars in the new gTLD
process will continue to be a high priority as we look to formalise our
involvement in each new gTLD model.

Finally the Registrar Constituency will need to have strong
representation as we enter a period whereby we may have to contend with
the potential revision of the RAA.

As a successful representative on the council I will be approachable,
knowledgeable, dedicated and passionate. Above all else I will ensure
that the Registrar interests are consistently and honestly presented on
the gNSO council.

I would be more than happy to receive questions from any member, who
would like to further discuss any of the points I have raised in this
email.  I look forward to seeing you all in San Juan.

Regards,

Adrian Kinderis
Managing Director

AusRegistry Group Pty Ltd