[registrars] Payments for multi year registrations.

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Tue May 29 15:51:39 UTC 2007

Bob,

I think you are way off base here.

Frankly, I don't think any Registrars still pay only a year at a time,
as there is a negative incentive to do so.  With the Registry prices
rising each year, a Registrar would be crazy to not pay it all the years
up front, as their costs are only increasing every year.

That said, although we don't do it, I know some Registrars offer a
registration period longer than 10 years.  I think that is perfectly
acceptable for them to do so as a business model.

If a client wants to buy a 100 year Registration, and they enter into a
contract with a Registrar to do so, I see nothing wrong with that.  The
client is making a choice and the Registrar a commitment to renew the
registration for that period of time.   Sounds good to me.

Registrars are supposed to have different business models.  That is what
makes us competitive and different.

Rob.