[registrars] FYI re: Transfers

Thomas Barrett - EnCirca tbarrett at encirca.biz
Thu Sep 20 14:54:02 UTC 2007

I think this is a constructive notice from ICANN.

Registrars are certainly inconsistent whether out-going transfers are
allowed once a domain has expired.

We have seen several instances of registrars denying transfers that are in
the auto-renewal period.  One reason stated is that the registrar has
already invoiced the customer for the renewal and thus is "owed" payment.
Another stated reason is the belief that expired domains are not eligible
for transfer.

I think the notice should include a simple statement:

"domains that have expired and are in the auto-renewal period are still
eligible for transfer to another registrar except under nine limited
circumstances...."

Tom Barrett
EnCirca