[registrars] Fwd: ICANN Issues Advisory Regarding the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Sat Apr 5 11:09:17 UTC 2008

Paul,

Yes, this is what ICANN now says the policy means. Note however, that it
doesn't change the policy. In my opinion, the purpose of the advisory is
to make clear how ICANN Staff interprets the policy, and how it intends
to enforce the policy. That doesn't mean that all registrars will have
the same interpretation, or that further disputes upon enforcement
attempts regarding it won't occur.

That is why it's important that we follow the appropriate process to
make the changes we think are necessary to the policy itself. Leaving
less open to interpretation will help prevent distracting disputes over
the policy.

We (Registrars, the ICANN community, etc.) cannot operate effeciently if
after years of allowing certain activities based on what a policy
actually says, we then try to change that activity through *Do what I
meant. Not what I said.* enforcement principles. That makes no sense at
all to me. And while you may not be affected by it this time, I would
hope you can at least see the dangerous precedent this could set.

Tim