[registrars] Collected Views Regarding Transfers

Paul Goldstone paulg at domainit.com
Sat Feb 2 19:57:25 UTC 2008

Ross,

Among other points, I agree with your statement that the terms
"reasonable and readily accessible" for the unlock mechanism (and auth
code retrieval) should be qualified.  For instance, requiring a domain
holder to call on the phone as the only means of getting an auth code
is not a "reasonable and readily accessible" method by most standards,
particularly for someone on a different continent.

I also think it should be clarified that a registrar is ultimately
responsible for providing an auth code even when a reseller is
involved.  I didn't see that mentioned in the document you sent, but
it's something we deal with on a regular basis so I assume we're not
the only ones.

Without going into too much detail (let me know if you want it), we
often find that we are unable to complete a transfer for a client due
to an unresponsive or unhelpful reseller.  The registrar is unwilling
to help, but instead refers us back to the reseller, who effectively
stalls the process until they are more than happy to advise all
parties that the domain is expired and no longer eligible for transfer.

My understanding is that authorization codes were implemented as an
added security feature, not a method to hold domains hostage.

Best Regards,

~Paul
:DomainIt