[registrars] 100 year domain registration

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Jun 6 17:52:39 UTC 2008

John,

It was just this issue that got me to wondering about the way that
"stability of IDN labels" was being discussed in the IETF's latest "IDN"
mailing list, the words like "forever" in the IDN mess are simply hard
to related to the finite contract period for ICANN itself, and the
fixed-term contracts for gTLD registries and registrars. In the worst
case (that I can think of) some ICANN BoD could preclude itself and all
future ICANN BoDs from fixing some not-yet-known-to-be-broken bit of
character set detail, because some third-party (an IETF WG composed
primarily of people employed by printer and email product OEMs) put
"forever" (or terms wicked longer than our contracts) into some standard.

Stability of labels is better than instability, but it can be expressed
in small multiples of contract periods, assuming the requirement for
stability comes from a body defined by contracts.

Eric