[registrars] US OFAC Sanctions Programs - Reminder

John Berryhill john at johnberryhill.com
Wed Mar 26 07:21:33 UTC 2008

While I realize that financial crimes and trademarks are of utmost
importance, as I've mentioned before US registrars may want to take a look a
the OFAC sanctions programs from time to time.

I've posted a set of explanatory notes about OFAC sanctions relating to
genocide in Darfur here:

http://www.johnberryhill.com/Sudan.html

along with examples of domain names registered via each of the major US
registrars which have been identified by the US government as providing
material support of genocide.

It takes about 20 minutes of sitting down with the full OFAC SDN list, and
doing a text search on TLD strings, to identify domain names which may be on
your cred and for which the penalties start at $11,000 and range up to
imprisonment.

While most of the dead folks in Sudan didn't have credit cards or
trademarks, so it's not all that important, maybe it's worth a few moments
to check whether you are in compliance with the relevant US laws relating to
genocide there.

Thanks,

John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
4 West Front St.