[RSSAC Caucus] Revisiting RSSAC002v3

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Mon Aug 19 15:23:53 UTC 2019

On 19/08/2019 16:03, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> - v3 uses the term "latency" in a way that that is very different
> from that which the Metrics Work Party is. In the v3 document,
> "latency" is the delay in publication of a new root zone, whereas in
> the Metrics WP document, "latency" is the amount of time it takes for
> a response to a DNS query to be received. The latter is the much more
> common usage of "latency" in the DNS world. The Metrics WP document
> uses "staleness" for the concept from v3. I propose that v4 start
> using "staleness" to match the more common usage in the DNS world.
> Note that the metric doesn't need to be renamed: it remains
> "load-time", which is different than either "latency" or
> "staleness".

I don't like "staleness" either.

"stale" is already overloaded by the "serve-stale" model, where in that
context "stale" really means "this zone is mouldy, use at your own risk"
rather than "this zone isn't *quite* as fresh as it should be".

(in other words, a zone is not IMHO "stale" until its expiry timer has
elapsed)

Why not just qualify latency as "publication latency" ?

> - To make it clearer that root zone size is not being measured by the
> RSOs, I propose moving that entire discussion to its own section.

That's fine with me.

> - A second root zone metrics that might be measured is "number of
> records changed". It will always be at least 1 (for the SOA), but it
> might be useful to know how many root zones are just changing the SOA
> versus changing actual data.

This is problematic.  There is no readily available in-server metric
and/or log that contains this information.

> - The DNS community would probably like to watch the adoption rate
> for QNAME minimization. To measure that, I propose a new RSO
> measurement: number of queries that are single-label requests that
> result in NOERROR responses. The latter part would eliminate effects
> of things like Chrome asking for more names. I recognize that this
> idea might not be popular for RSSAC, but it would be one of the best
> ways for the DNS community to measure uptake of the protocol.

I'm also against this.  It pre-supposes that either an on-the-wire DNS
monitoring system or in-server metrics to measure this are deployed.

So long as wire-sniffing systems remain viable a long term view of this
can be gleaned from DITL data, even if it is only sampled once a year.

On a more general note, my take on RSSAC 002 (and I said so vociferously
during the v3 discussion) is that it was not intended for answering
arbitrary research questions.  That just becomes a never-ending list of
"wouldn't it be nice if..." discussions.

kind regards,

Ray