[RSSAC Caucus] [RSS Metrics] Update on the RSS Metrics document

Karl Reuss reuss at umd.edu
Wed Dec 4 20:52:12 UTC 2019

I was able to see the comments in the pdf attachment.  Here are my thoughts on some of comments:

Comment3/4 - I think the paragraph in question expands on the ending of the previous sentence/paragraph: "and diverse connectivity providers".  To me, having diverse connectivity providers is critical.  Unlike root servers that typically peer with many providers at a facility, vantage points will most likely have a connection to a single provider (ISP) who may have a very different routing policy than the another ISP three racks over.  My vote is to leave the additional paragraph in to reinforce the connectivity diversity recommendation.

Comment 8 - I may have started the discussion on this point.  After reviewing some publication latency data I envisioned a worst case scenario where a root could have horrible publishing latency to slightly less than half the vantage points and still have a great median, so I threw a comment in the doc right before hoping on a plane.  After some thought I decided this was an unrealistic contrived scenario, and that publication latency isn't that different from our other metrics.   My thought is to leave it 'median' for consistency.

-Karl