[RSSAC Caucus] [SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning] At-Large Submission to the HIT Plenary Programme

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Dec 19 05:56:32 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 19 December 2019 04:25:41 UTC Fred Baker wrote:
> I'm changing the CC to the RSSAC Caucus, which, in addition to my vice-chair
> and relevant staff, includes the RSSAC and a number of DNS experts in other
> locations. ...

the "splinternet" proposal you included is quite bold.

(http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160330_let_me_make_yeti_dns_perfectly_clear/)

> What is proposed by Russia and others is one of two things - either a
> wresting of Internet governance away from those who have done it to date to
> the BRIC countries, or a return to many of the concepts behind the PSTN,
> including the creation of national DNS roots, or possibly other divisions.

the internet is fundamentally a new road not a new wall, and it's a new road
that ignores (goes around or under) old walls. it is a "new world order" and
it is based on western liberal democracy and capitalism. any existing order
such as a nation which does not subscribe to democracy and/or capitalism faces
an existential threat from the internet: either participate and lose one way,
or don't participate and lose the other way. from your remarks here, i'm
guessing that some less-western or less-democratic or less-capitalistic nation
states are now indicating their self-confidence in regionalized internet-like
technologies that they can govern without icann's help. (they may be right.)

> ... Those countries that follow
> that route also forfeit whatever business they might have gotten via those
> same companies. Russia has already formalized this, as I understand it;
> names used in Russia pretty much have to be Russian names served by Russian
> servers.

rulers often choose 100% of a small pie over 5% of a larger one, regardless of
the number of grams or cubic centimeters of pie thus represented. so, to
forfeit advantages in order to prevent upheaval is "a business decision"
having little relationship to their self interest as understood by others. NK
is an example of preferring 100% dominance over a smaller economy. they can
still participate in the global economy's internet for the purpose of fraud
and theft and illicit transfer of wealth into the smaller (isolated) economy,
which in NK's case is the _only_ purpose they would have for connecting to the
outside world.

> So, from my perspective, both as chair of RSSAC and a contributor to
> Internet technology for rather a while, I think this is a very valid topic,
> and expect that RSSAC people will find it interesting.

in my case, yes, and thank you for sharing. here's the really exciting part:
BRICS is correct in the model they want to pursue, even if their reasons are
incompatible with the ICANN "one world, one internet" narrative. i'll explain
in a reply to this message, in order to separate the threads.

--
Paul