[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] Re: Metrics vantage point connectivity

Daniel Migault mglt.biz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 02:57:00 UTC 2019

Hi Paul and Duane,

My impression is that colocation of the vantage points and the root servers
in a data center is a corner case the vantage point operator will have to
address. I am not sure it is necessary we indicate how this should be
treated here, and simply raising this might be sufficient - without going
into the solution space. I am not able to say whether these measurements
are representative or not and also suspect it depends on the other vantage
points. I would propose maybe something around the following lines.

OLD:
"""
Vantage points may be deployed on “bare metal” or virtual machines (VMs).
When VMs are utilized, they should provide dedicated IP addresses and a
dedicated operating system environment.
"""
NEW:
"""
Measurement that result from a colocation of vantage points and root
servers in a data center needs to be appropriately treated in order to make
the measurement representative.
"""

Yours,
Daniel

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 5:50 PM Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at icann.org> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The connectivity diversity text was added because I was concerned that,
> without it, we might have a situation where a significant number of vantage
> points are essentially colocated with a significant number of root
> servers.  This would especially impact latency measurements.
> >

> If a vantage point and an instance are co-located in a data center (or in
> topologically adjacent data centers), a connectivity difference will be
> nearly meaningless unless the connectivity provider makes exceptionally
> crappy routing choices. Adding 10 or even 50 ms to go out one provider and
> in the next is swamped by the 250 ms threshold.

Daniel Migault
Ericsson
8400 boulevard Decarie
Montreal, QC   H4P 2N2