[RSSAC Caucus] Updating the RSSAC FAQ

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Apr 30 21:33:28 UTC 2020

"there was a common expectation that IP packets on the Internet were limited to 576 bytes.”

no

there was a common _requirement_ that all IPv4 hosts had to accept an IP packet up to 576 bytes iun suze

RFC791:
 Every internet destination must be able to receive a datagram of 576 octets either in one piece or in fragments to be reassembled.

"Finally, many more resolvers today are capable of falling back to TCP when they receive a truncated response over UDP”

really? Where is the study that publishes this finding?

thanks,

Geoff