[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] FOR REVIEW: RSSAC026v2: RSSAC Lexicon

Karl Reuss reuss at umd.edu
Thu Jan 30 13:56:04 UTC 2020

On 1/29/20 8:33 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> we have dispensed with 'site' and 'location' as relationships which would
> define a 'portion of' as a 'root server instance', and that's good (says me).

Personally, I'm not ready to give up on location/site as part of the RSSAC definition for instance.  When we're at an RSSAC meeting discussing instances, location is the primary way we identify them. I really liked the plain language Wes used in his recent definitions and i'm concerned your more technically accurate definition will confuse much of our RSSAC audience.

> "A root server instance is the portion of a root server operator's
> infrastructure [dedicated to serving] root data at one [or more] of the IP
> addresses associated with a root server identifier [and having connectivity
> disjoint from all other instances of the same server]."

What differentiates the connectivity between C-root's New York and Chicago instances?  I assume (perhaps wrongly) that they are both connected to Cogent's network and fall under a common BGP routing policy.  To me, you need to use location to best describe that difference.

-Karl