[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] TCP and TC (was Updating the RSSAC FAQ)

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Mon May 4 17:36:00 UTC 2020

On May 4, 2020, at 9:01 AM, Fred Baker <fred at isc.org> wrote:

> Does this become a requirement for resolvers using the RSS?

We currently don't have any requirements on how anyone uses the RSS, and setting up requirements at this point might be considered a major issue. It is not clear how such a requirement would be enforced, nor why all of a sudden there are requirements when there have not been any in the past three decades.

We certainly have expectations, but those are not requirements. Ray pointed out two relevant documents: RFC 7766 and draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements. The former has requirements on implementations, and the latter has requirements on the expected operation of the DNS. Neither of those are requirements on resolvers (or any hosts) using a service, particularly not the RSS.

--Paul Hoffman