[RSSAC Caucus] Rogue Operator Work Party: Source of zone data

P Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Oct 6 21:15:21 UTC 2020

Renard, Kenneth D CTR USARMY CCDC C5ISR (USA) via rssac-caucus writes:

> The question to the group is: “Would using an intermediate source of root
> zone data, by itself, be considered a ROGUE operation?”  Regardless of
> who the intermediate is…, regardless of the authenticity of the zone data…

in my opinion, no. carrier pigeon, /dev/random, hostile nation-state actor,
none of that matters. if it's dnssec-authentic using the icann key, then
the publication of such data is in-bounds and not-rogue. source, including
intermediaries, no longer matters. that's the underlying meaning of dnssec.

vixie