[RSSAC Caucus] Local Perspective Work Party: TCP vs UDP timeouts

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Mon Apr 19 19:33:07 UTC 2021

In my opinion it should be the same timeout for TCP and UDP given that the timer does not include connection setup.

On one hand I'm inclined to specify relatively low timeout values, like 1 second since we can demonstrate that queries almost never take longer than that and when they do, it indicates an underserved area, and as Ray said,
we don't need to know how much more underserved they are.

BUT, I also think we want to make sure that the tool runs successfully on all types of networks, even those with very high last mile latencies.  It would be unfortunate if we specified a 1 second timeout and then found that the tool produced no measurements at all for some users, making the results indistinguishable from having no connectivity.

Perhaps in this document we can specify a lower bound on the timeout?  e.g. must not be less than 1 second, and then a longer timeout can be an implementation or run-time option?

DW