[RSSAC Caucus] Understanding DNS Query Composition at B-Root

Andrew McConachie andrew.mcconachie at icann.org
Thu Aug 24 10:38:10 UTC 2023

> On 24 Aug 2023, at 11:27, Peter Thomassen <peter at desec.io> wrote:
>

> On 8/19/23 14:20, Hafiz Farooq wrote:
>> - Interesting to know that Chromium based queries are on the rise.
>
> Are they?
>
> See https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://blog.verisign.com/domain-names/chromiums-reduction-of-root-dns-traffic/__;!!PtGJab4!-OwPwjoUMqAbPjHQo7NX45EN2DB2QGRbfYD5lSBdIlqKNZqsHCoRtgRXrZR1Fe1ftVcK-snOl4B84Bq8GAePdBiHSA$ [blog[.]verisign[.]com] and Figure 6 in the paper.

This paper doesn’t say they are increasing.
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/2308.07966.pdf>

"We see a gradual increase in Chromium-originating queries from 2013 through 2020, followed by a sharp decline after 2020 following a change to Omnibox’s probing process."

In addition to the link from Peter we also see a significant drop in UDP query packet-sizes 16-31 and 32-47 starting around January 2021.
<https://rssac002.root-servers.org/sizes_single.html>

I think it’s fair to say that Chromium queries peaked at the end of 2020 and have declined since then.

—Andrew