[RSSAC Caucus] Number of instances in the rss for a past date

Peter Thomassen peter at desec.io
Thu Dec 14 17:08:03 UTC 2023

On 12/14/23 17:48, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>     While that may be true, I'm curious whether it's known why the load times vary across three orders of magnitude?
>

> I can only offer speculations based on our own deployment architectures, but it should serve as an example of why these measurements are somewhat meaningless in the first place.

Thanks. -- Your example of a machine that's taken out of service for maintenance, and will then yield a long load-time metric for the next serial makes total sense, and of course does not indicate a problem.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't say that that's a meaningless metric. In indicates the typical quantiles for zone propagation times, which is a good piece of data to be floating.

(If this were removed, this may lead to less realistic assumptions of propagation times a few years later.)

Best,
Peter

--
https://desec.io/