[RSS GWG] SAPF Agenda item

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:24:14 UTC 2020

As you will recall, the agenda item we did not get to on our last call was:

"Discuss Strategy, Architecture, and Policy Function (SAPF) (All)"

Obviously the time allocated would have been too small to finish a
discussion on such a big topic, but what I had hoped to do was to encourage
some brainstorming in the form of sketches of what an SAPF structure might
look like as part of FutureOrg.  Those sketches would obviously be informed
by the data we've gotten on how different parts of ICANN interface with
each other, but the idea at this stage is not to do a deep dive there.
We're trying instead to see if, in the light of that information, there are
simple parallels we can draw to rule specific approaches in or out.
Examples might be as simple as "RSACC++", an "IAB for the Root Server
System", the "Board of an org parallel to PTI", and so on.

I'd like to ask now for folks to sketch out a few of these and send them to
the list over the next week and half.  My current thinking is that we'll
then put the suggested set up at the next meeting and do a *tour de table*
with folks giving their thoughts on which ones should be fleshed in
detail.  If we don't have any suggestions, we'll go around the room to
discuss what the SAPF should look like in general; my hope, though, is that
we'll have at least a few ideas to bounce around.

Comments on this plan are, of course, welcome, and if folks have ideas on
other ways to move to the next step, please bring them up.

thanks,

Ted Hardie